Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I Want to Do More, by D'Marco Redd

I want talk about how important community involvement, especially in our community. I’m a freshman in college. My major is sports management, and I hold a 3.6 G.P.A at Madonna University. Before I came to Madonna University, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life.

Real life was coming as soon as I graduated from high school. The next step was going into the Navy. I knew I didn’t want to go into the Navy, so I had to find the next step I was going to take to become a step closer to success. Before I graduated, I met this guy name Bryant George. I was a part of Real Life 101, and we talked about college and what the standards were to get into Madonna University. Even though I didn’t have the ACT scores or the grades, Madonna University and Bryant George took a chance on me. I’m glad they did because I continue to show them my intelligence and what I can do.

When the BLG program and Madonna introduced me to the idea of giving back to the community, I finally said, this is my purpose. One day we went to Christ Child House, where there were kids who were abused, neglected, and had nobody but themselves. We ate, played indoor and outdoor activities, and talked to them about different things. When the day was over, I knew it wasn’t enough; I wasn’t satisfied with myself until I gave it my all. I knew helping people was my purpose, and when I finally realized it, I decided to do more. When the kids from Marcus Garvey came to Madonna University, we talked to them about college, ate pizza, and took them to a volleyball game. When that happened, I still didn’t feel satisfied, and it felt like God wanted me to do more. I also wanted to do more for myself as well, help anybody out as much as I could. The kids need us more to be an influence, and really talk to them and show them the right path.

I didn’t stop there. When the Christ Child House came to Madonna University and spent time with us, the BLG students talked to them about life, we ate pizza, and—my personal favorite—we played basketball. After that event was over, we just had a reflection about what everyone learned and how they enjoyed themselves. We are really their brothers, and the BLG program really wants every single one of the kids to be successful in their own ways.

I love that I can give back and be there for the kids when they need someone to talk to. To know that you can possibly be their hero or really influence them is a great feeling and makes you feel good about youself inside.

At this point, I still didn’t feel it was enough, so I decided to volunteer at the YMCA. I’m really dedicated to my community and I really love my community. There be days when it is below zero degrees outside and raining, but I still walk to the YMCA for the kids and the community. I walk to the YMCA every day, even when it’s so cold I can’t feel my jaw, fingers, or anything else. The kids are worth it, and to be able to see them grow up and be successful is priceless. All kids need is a little guidance and someone to show them the way, and I’m going to be that kid who does it. I feel like this because when Madonna University gave back and accepted me into college, I knew I had to give back to others.

I’m going to continue to do it as well. I just want thank Madonna University and BLG program for giving me the opportunity. I also want to thank Real life 101 as well for investing in me and believing I could do it. To have support, in no matter what you do, makes a big difference in your life. For people to care if you go to school and make something out of your life is very powerful. The person I want thank the most is God. Without him none of this will be here or be possible.

2 comments:

  1. This is so inspirational, D'Marco! I'm glad that it gives you such joy and peace to give back, and that your faith in God has helped you to find your calling. It's admirable that you walk to the YMCA even when it's cold out. If the world had more of your dedication, it would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'Marco, your words, as well as your deeds, are a gift! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete